Monday, March 22, 2010

Ear infection or not???

We had our first somewhat needless doctor's appointment on Friday, and I got my first taste of what it's like to have a medical professional nullify your concerns in a two minute appointment that will cost someone approximately $100.

Ilyana was having a tough week...lots of drooling, fussing, ear-pulling, nose-running. She was just a little "off." So after talking to some friends who mentioned that it may be an ear infection, I started thinking that it probably was an ear infection, and then it most likely was an ear infection. So I made an appointment with the doctor, but since it was at the last minute, I had to see whoever was available. Ily fussed and cried for most of that morning and was nearly inconsolable when she woke up from her morning nap. I assumed my fears were being confirmed as the ear pulling continued.

Of course, as fate would have it, by the time we got to the doctor's office, there were no more tears. In fact, not only were there not tears, there were giggles and delighted squeals. This did nothing to support my cause that something was amiss. The pediatrician briefly looked in her ears and checked her gums. With a dismissive, "There is no fluid in her ears, and her teeth are no where near the surface." So after that short and mildly informative meeting, I believe our file at the doctor's office now reads, "pleasant child, paranoid mother." Excellent.

But no ear infection, so that was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment